Wednesday, August 22, 2018

THE WHOLE COUNSEL

Many believers have heard the phrase "the whole counsel of God" alluded to by preachers from their pulpits.  They use the phrase to justify the mixture of law & grace being fed to the congregation.  After all should not there be a sprinkling of the Old with the New?  There must be balance in the church they surmise!  We must watch over the souls of men by teaching them the "the fear of the Lord" they conclude. 

A good question to ask them is:  Do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and long-suffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? (Roman 2:4) The Greek word for repentance is metanoia meaning "a change of mind".  With this in mind, let us look at what the components of the "whole counsel of God" as presented by Paul, the great apostle.    

From Miletus he (Paul, the apostle) sent to Ephesus and called for the elders of the church. And when they had come to him, he said to them: "You know, from the first day that I came to Asia, in what manner I always lived among you, serving the Lord with all humility, with many tears and trials which happened to me by the plotting of the Jews; how I kept back nothing that was helpful, but proclaimed it to you, and taught you publicly and from house to house, testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks:
                 REPENTANCE toward GOD and FAITH toward our LORD JESUS CHRIST 
And see, now I go bound in the spirit to Jerusalem, not knowing the things that will happen to me there, except that the Holy Spirit testifies in every city, saying that chains and tribulations await me. But none of these things move me; nor do I count my life dear to myself, so that I may finish my race with joy, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus:      
                     to testify to the Gospel of the GRACE of God.  
And indeed, now I know that you all, among whom I have gone 
                     preaching the KINGDOM of God, will see my face no more.  
Therefore I testify to you this day that I [am] innocent of the blood of all [men].  For I have not shunned to declare to you the "whole counsel of God".  Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.  [Act 20:17-28 NKJV]

The Gospel of the Grace of God teaches us that God so loved us in such an excellent way (1 Cor. 13:4-7) that He gave us His Son as the ultimate sacrifice for us, so that whoever believes in Jesus Christ shall not perish but have eternal life.  It is the GOODNESS of this message that once heard (after all gospel means "good news") penetrates our hearts by the action of the Holy Spirit, changes our thinking about God (repentance) and causes us to BELIEVE in Jesus Christ (FAITH comes by hearing & hearing by the word of God).  

Lets be clear once and for all:  the Gospel of Grace is the message of God to the world and the Preaching of the Kingdom of God is the presentation of the same Grace.  Did not Jesus (full of Grace & Truth) preach and say:  Repent for the Kingdom of God is near you or at hand?  He is the personification of Grace and the Kingdom.  
JESUS is the WHOLE COUNSEL!  

No comments:

Post a Comment